Rotterdam, often referred to as the “Gateway to Europe,” is a vibrant and dynamic city in the Netherlands that boasts a rich history, stunning architecture, and a thriving cultural scene. Located in the province of South Holland, Rotterdam is a city that constantly reinvents itself, making it a must-visit destination for tourists from all over the world. In this guide, we’ll explore 10 of the most captivating tourist attractions in Rotterdam, each offering a unique glimpse into the city’s past, present, and future.
1. Depot Boijmans Van Beuningen
Depot Boijmans Van Beuningen is a publicly accessible art storage facility located in Rotterdam, Netherlands. It is the first of its kind in the world, and it houses the entire collection of Museum Boijmans Van Beuningen, which includes over 150,000 objects, from paintings and sculptures to furniture and textiles.
The depot is a large, rectangular building with a glass facade. It is divided into 14 climate-controlled storage rooms, each of which is designed to meet the specific needs of the objects it houses. The rooms are arranged in a grid, and visitors can walk through them and see the art up close.
In addition to the storage rooms, the depot also houses a number of other facilities, including a restaurant, a library, and a workshop. The workshop is used to restore and conserve the art in the collection.
Depot Boijmans Van Beuningen is a unique and innovative museum that offers visitors a behind-the-scenes look at how art is stored and preserved. It is a must-see for anyone interested in art or in the history of museums.
Here are some additional details about the depot:
- It is located in the Museumpark, next to Museum Boijmans Van Beuningen.
- It was designed by the Dutch architecture firm MVRDV.
- It was opened in November 2021.
- It is open to the public for guided tours and self-guided visits.
2. Rotterdam Centraal
Rotterdam Centraal is the main railway station in Rotterdam, Netherlands. It is the largest railway station in the Netherlands and the third busiest, after Utrecht Centraal and Amsterdam Centraal. The station is located in the city center, near the Erasmus Bridge and the De Rotterdam skyscraper.
Rotterdam Centraal was opened in 1957 and was designed by architect Sybold van Ravesteyn. The station is known for its distinctive architecture, which features a large steel roof and a clock tower. The station was also one of the first in the world to have a central shopping center.
Rotterdam Centraal is a major transportation hub for the Netherlands. It is served by trains from all over the country, as well as by international trains from Belgium, France, Germany, and the United Kingdom. The station is also connected to the Rotterdam Metro and the Rotterdam tram system.
Rotterdam Centraal is a popular tourist destination, and is home to a number of shops, restaurants, and cafes. The station is also home to the Rotterdam Tourist Information Center, where visitors can learn more about the city and its attractions.
Here are some tips for visiting Rotterdam Centraal:
- Be aware of your surroundings. Rotterdam Centraal is a large and busy station, so it is important to be aware of your surroundings and keep an eye on your belongings.
- Plan your journey ahead of time. Rotterdam Centraal is a major transportation hub, so it is important to plan your journey ahead of time and know which platform your train will depart from.
- Give yourself plenty of time. Rotterdam Centraal is a large station, so it can take some time to get around. Be sure to give yourself plenty of time to get to your train, especially if you are traveling during peak hours.
- Enjoy the station. Rotterdam Centraal is a beautiful and historic station. Be sure to take some time to admire the architecture and soak up the atmosphere.
The Euromast is a 185-meter-tall observation tower in Rotterdam, Netherlands. It is one of the tallest towers in the Netherlands, and offers stunning 360-degree views of the city and its surroundings.
The Euromast was built in 1960 for the Floriade, a world horticultural exhibition that was held in Rotterdam that year. The tower was designed by the Dutch architect Hugh Maaskant, and is considered to be one of the icons of Rotterdam.
The Euromast has two observation decks, one at 100 meters and one at 185 meters. The lower observation deck is enclosed in glass, and offers panoramic views of the city. The upper observation deck is open-air, and offers even more stunning views.
In addition to the observation decks, the Euromast also has a restaurant, a café, and a gift shop. There is also a rotating glass elevator, called the Euroscoop, which takes visitors to the top of the tower.
The Euromast is a popular tourist destination, and is a great place to get a bird’s-eye view of Rotterdam. It is also a popular spot for weddings and other special events.
Here are some tips for visiting the Euromast:
- Book your tickets in advance, especially if you are visiting during the peak season.
- Arrive early to avoid the crowds.
- Be prepared for the wind, especially on the upper observation deck.
- Wear comfortable shoes, as you will be doing a lot of walking.
- Take your time and enjoy the views.
The Markthal, or Market Hall, is a horseshoe-shaped building in Rotterdam, Netherlands, that combines a market hall on the ground floor with 228 apartments on the upper floors. It is located in the historic Laurenskwartier district in the center of the city.
The Markthal was designed by the Dutch architectural firm MVRDV and completed in 2014. It is one of the most popular tourist attractions in Rotterdam, and is known for its striking architecture and its vibrant market hall.
The market hall is home to 96 fresh food stalls and shop units, offering a wide variety of products, including fresh produce, meat, fish, seafood, cheese, flowers, and prepared foods. There are also a number of restaurants and cafes in the market hall, making it a great place to stop for a meal or a snack.
The Markthal is also known for its colorful artwork. The interior of the market hall is decorated with a massive artwork by Arno Coenen and Iris Roskam, which depicts a variety of fruits, vegetables, flowers, and other food items. The artwork is a celebration of the diversity of the food available in the market hall, and it is one of the most popular tourist attractions in Rotterdam.
In addition to the market hall and the apartments, the Markthal also includes a supermarket, a car park, and a number of office spaces. It is a truly multi-functional building, and it is a great example of how modern architecture can be used to create a vibrant and livable community space.
Here are some tips for visiting the Markthal:
- The market hall is open from 10am to 8pm, Monday through Saturday, and from 12pm to 6pm on Sundays.
- The best time to visit the market hall is in the morning, when the stalls are fully stocked and there are fewer crowds.
- Be sure to try some of the delicious food on offer at the market hall. There are a variety of different cuisines to choose from, so you are sure to find something to your taste.
- Take some time to admire the artwork on the interior of the market hall. It is a truly unique and beautiful work of art.
5. SS Rotterdam
The SS Rotterdam was built in 1958 by the Rotterdam Drydock Company, and was launched by Queen Juliana of the Netherlands. It was one of the most luxurious ocean liners of its time, and was known for its elegant design and amenities.
The SS Rotterdam made its maiden voyage to New York City in 1959, and sailed on the transatlantic route for many years. It also sailed on cruises to the Caribbean and South America. In 1997, the SS Rotterdam was retired from service and sold to a Dutch businessman.
In 2010, the SS Rotterdam was reopened as a hotel ship in Rotterdam. The ship has been carefully restored to its former glory, and now offers a unique hotel experience for guests.
The SS Rotterdam has 254 hotel rooms and suites, as well as several restaurants, bars, and lounges. There is also a casino, a swimming pool, and a fitness center on board.
The SS Rotterdam is a popular tourist destination, and is a great place to experience the history and culture of Rotterdam.
Here are some facts about the SS Rotterdam:
- It is 748 feet long and 94 feet wide.
- It has a gross tonnage of 38,650 tons.
- It can accommodate up to 570 guests.
- It has a crew of over 300 people.
6. Historisch Delfshaven
Historisch Delfshaven is a neighborhood in Rotterdam, Netherlands that is known for its well-preserved historic buildings and canals. It is one of the oldest neighborhoods in Rotterdam, and it was once a major port city.
The neighborhood is home to a number of historic attractions, including the Old Church, the Pilgrim Fathers Church, and the Delfshaven Museum. The Old Church is the oldest building in Rotterdam, and it was built in the 14th century. The Pilgrim Fathers Church is a Protestant church that was built in the 17th century. The Delfshaven Museum is a museum that tells the story of the history of Delfshaven.
In addition to its historic attractions, Historisch Delfshaven is also a popular spot for shopping and dining. The neighborhood is home to a number of boutiques, art galleries, and restaurants.
Here are some tips for visiting Historisch Delfshaven:
- Take a walk around the canals. The canals are one of the most charming features of Delfshaven, and they offer a great way to see the neighborhood.
- Visit the Old Church. The Old Church is the oldest building in Rotterdam, and it is a beautiful example of Gothic architecture.
- Visit the Pilgrim Fathers Church. The Pilgrim Fathers Church is a Protestant church that was built in the 17th century. It is a popular tourist destination, as it is the place where the Pilgrim Fathers boarded the Mayflower before sailing to America.
- Visit the Delfshaven Museum. The Delfshaven Museum is a museum that tells the story of the history of Delfshaven. It is a great place to learn about the history of the neighborhood and its people.
- Do some shopping. The neighborhood is home to a number of boutiques and art galleries.
- Have dinner at one of the many restaurants in the neighborhood. There are a variety of restaurants to choose from, including Dutch, Indonesian, and Chinese cuisine.
Spido is a boat tour agency in Rotterdam, Netherlands. It offers a variety of tours, including a Rotterdam Harbour Tour, day & theme cruises, and events. The company has been in business for over 100 years and is a popular tourist attraction.
Here are some of the things you can do on a Spido boat tour:
- See the Port of Rotterdam, Europe’s largest port.
- Learn about the history and culture of Rotterdam.
- Enjoy the views of the city skyline and the Erasmus Bridge.
- Have lunch or dinner on board.
- Attend a special event, such as a New Year’s Eve cruise or a Valentine’s Day cruise.
Spido boat tours are a great way to experience Rotterdam from a different perspective. The tours are informative and entertaining, and they offer a unique way to see the city.
Here are some tips for booking a Spido boat tour:
- Book your tickets in advance, especially if you are traveling during the peak season.
- Choose a tour that is right for you. Spido offers a variety of tours, so be sure to read the descriptions carefully before booking.
- Arrive early for your tour. This will give you time to check in and board the boat.
- Bring a camera. There are many great photo opportunities on a Spido boat tour.
- Enjoy the experience! Spido boat tours are a great way to see Rotterdam and learn about the city’s history and culture.
8. Cube Houses
The Cube Houses (also known as Kijk-Kubus or Blaak Houses) in Rotterdam, Netherlands are a series of 39 innovative houses built in 1984. The houses were designed by architect Piet Blom and are based on the concept of “living as a treetop.” Each house is tilted at a 45-degree angle and is supported by a hexagonal pylon. The houses are arranged in three groups, each of which is connected by a central walkway.
The Cube Houses are a popular tourist attraction and are known for their unique design. The houses are open to the public for tours, and there is also a museum in one of the houses that tells the story of their construction and design.
Here is a more detailed description of the Cube Houses,
- Each house is a cube, with three triangular sides and a hexagonal base.
- The houses are tilted at a 45-degree angle, which gives them a unique appearance.
- The houses are supported by a hexagonal pylon, which is located in the center of the house.
- The houses are arranged in three groups, each of which is connected by a central walkway.
- The houses are made of concrete and have a glass facade.
- The houses are three stories high and have a total floor area of 100 square meters.
- The houses have three bedrooms, a bathroom, a kitchen, and a living room.
- The houses are heated by geothermal energy.
The Cube Houses are a unique and innovative example of Dutch architecture. They are a popular tourist attraction and are a must-see for anyone visiting Rotterdam.
The Erasmus Bridge, also known as the Swan Bridge, is a cable-stayed bridge in Rotterdam, Netherlands. It is located over the Nieuwe Maas river, and connects the north and south sides of the city. The bridge was designed by Ben van Berkel and Caroline Bos, and was completed in 1996. It is one of the most iconic landmarks in Rotterdam, and is a popular tourist destination.
The Erasmus Bridge is 802 meters long, and has a main span of 276 meters. The bridge is supported by a single pylon, which is 139 meters tall. The bridge deck is made of steel, and is suspended from the pylon by cables.
The Erasmus Bridge is a popular spot for walking, cycling, and rollerblading. It also offers stunning views of the city skyline. The bridge is also a popular venue for events, such as concerts and festivals.
Here are some tips for visiting the Erasmus Bridge:
- If you are interested in walking or cycling across the bridge, be sure to wear comfortable shoes. The bridge is quite long, and the incline can be steep at times.
- If you are visiting the bridge at night, be sure to bring a flashlight or headlamp. The bridge can be quite dark at night, and there are no streetlights.
- Be aware of your surroundings. The bridge is a popular tourist destination, so it can get quite crowded. Be sure to keep your belongings close to you.
- Enjoy the views! The Erasmus Bridge offers stunning views of the city skyline. Be sure to take some time to stop and admire the views.
Museumpark is a public park in Rotterdam, Netherlands. It is home to several museums, including the Kunsthal Rotterdam, the Museum Boijmans Van Beuningen, and the Natural History Museum Rotterdam. The park is also home to a variety of sculptures and other works of art.
The park was created in the 1920s as part of a plan to rebuild Rotterdam after it was destroyed in World War I. The park was designed by landscape architect Wim Crouwel, and it was opened to the public in 1928.
Museumpark is a popular spot for both locals and tourists. It is a great place to relax and enjoy the outdoors, and it is also a great place to learn about art and culture.
Here are some of the things you can do in Museumpark:
- Visit the museums: Museumpark is home to three world-class museums: the Kunsthal Rotterdam, the Museum Boijmans Van Beuningen, and the Natural History Museum Rotterdam.
- Admire the sculptures: Museumpark is home to a variety of sculptures, including the famous “Homme qui marche” by Auguste Rodin.
- Take a walk: Museumpark is a great place to take a walk and enjoy the outdoors. The park has a variety of paths and trails, and it is also home to a pond and a fountain.
- Have a picnic: Museumpark is a great place to have a picnic. There are many benches and tables throughout the park, and there are also several restaurants and cafes where you can buy food and drinks.
- Attend a concert or event: Museumpark often hosts concerts and other events. Be sure to check the park’s website for a list of upcoming events.
Museumpark is a great place to visit for people of all ages. It is a great place to learn about art and culture, and it is also a great place to relax and enjoy the outdoors.
In conclusion, Rotterdam is a city of contrasts, where modern architecture and design coexist with a rich maritime heritage and historic charm. Whether you’re interested in art, history, architecture, or simply enjoying the city’s vibrant atmosphere, these 10 tourist attractions in Rotterdam offer a diverse range of experiences for every traveler. Don’t miss the opportunity to explore this dynamic and ever-evolving city on your next visit to the Netherlands.
Cheap Hotels & Cheap Flights to Rotterdam
Let’s search for cheap hotels & cheap flights to Rotterdam…
There is only one commercial airport in Rotterdam, the Rotterdam The Hague Airport (RTM). It is located about 6 kilometers north of the city center. RTM is a relatively small airport, handling about 2 million passengers per year. It offers flights to a variety of destinations in Europe, including London, Amsterdam, and Paris.
Here are the details of the Rotterdam The Hague Airport:
- IATA code: RTM
- ICAO code: EHRD
- Location: Rotterdam, Netherlands
- Opened: 1929
- Runways: 1 (06/24)
- Terminals: 1
- Airlines: Over 10 airlines
- Destinations: Over 20 destinations